Re: Beginner's question: Microphone cable

Subject: Re: Beginner's question: Microphone cable
From: "picnet2" picnet2
Date: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:00 am ((PDT))
Hello Riccardo,
                          The headphone extension cable may be made from st=
rands of enamel wire, - four pairs of enamel wire wrapped. It depends on th=
e type, Ive used one which is using twin coax without problem. - In general=
 its not a good idea to use such cable to extend plug-in-power microphones =
unless you know the screen is good, by good i mean the signal wire is encas=
ed totally by the screen.

If the original mic has a 3.5mm TRS male plug, you would need e.g 1.5 Meter=
 cable with a 3.5mm male plug at one end and 3.5mm female socket at the oth=
er.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_ring_sleeve#Recording%20equipment

If you do buy another cable, its a good idea to check the weight of the cab=
le, sadly it seems some recent cable suppliers have mad cables that include=
 less copper (its expensive) - This means the screen or inner wire becomes =
exposed along the whole length or parts of the cable.

Buy a 3.5mm TRS male to female extension cable, plug the mic into the femal=
e socket and the male plug into your MD recorder. - Watch out for cheap cab=
les.

Obviously ensure the mic is working before you buy any further cables :)

BR,
Mike.

--- In  Riccardo Bianchi <pelerin_voyageur=
@...>

wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> my name is Riccardo and I'm new on the list.
> ...and I'm new in this field, as well ;-)
>
> Last year during a=A0trip at Indiana Dunes national park,=A0near Chicago,=
 at =A0I bought the "Wild Soundscape" book at the Park bookstore.

> And now I just bought an Hi-MD recorder on ebay ;-) a NH900.
>
> I'm trying to get my first recordings, thus I have a question...very stup=
id question, I=A0guess ;-)

> - I noticed that using the little mic drectly plugged on the recoder case=
, I record the noise from the MD machinery...

> - ...so I thought that I could have bought a=A0long "hearphone" cable to =
use the microphone at a certain distance from the recoder itself...

> - ...I bought it, but I noticed that this cable introduces a lot of stron=
g noise in the recording!! I mean, each time that the cable is touched or m=
oved, a loud sound (like that one we get when tapping on the microphone) ju=
mps in the recording, as like as the cable itself would be a microphone!

> So I guess that that cable (that one we buy in order to get a longer cabl=
e for the earphones)=A0is not the right cable ;-)