Beginner's question: Microphone cable

Subject: Beginner's question: Microphone cable
From: "Riccardo Bianchi" pelerin_voyageu=
Date: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:15 am ((PDT))

Good morning,

my name is Riccardo and I'm new on the list.
...and I'm new in this field, as well ;-)

Last year during a=A0trip at Indiana Dunes national park,=A0near Chicago, a=
t =A0I bought the "Wild Soundscape" book at the Park bookstore.

And now I just bought an Hi-MD recorder on ebay ;-) a NH900.

I'm trying to get my first recordings, thus I have a question...very stupid=
 question, I=A0guess ;-)

- I noticed that using the little mic drectly plugged on the recoder case, =
I record the noise from the MD machinery...

- ...so I thought that I could have bought a=A0long "hearphone" cable to us=
e the microphone at a certain distance from the recoder itself...

- ...I bought it, but I noticed that this cable introduces a lot of strong =
noise in the recording!! I mean, each time that the cable is touched or mov=
ed, a loud sound (like that one we get when tapping on the microphone) jump=
s in the recording, as like as the cable itself would be a microphone!

So I guess that that cable (that one we buy in order to get a longer cable =
for the earphones)=A0is not the right cable ;-)

Thus my question is:=A0 which cable should I buy?

Thank you very much for your help and for your patience with a so basic and=
 stupid question! :-P

Have a nice Sunday,

=A0=A0 Ric.

=A0