Re: Stereo techniques for outdoor soundscapes

Subject: Re: Stereo techniques for outdoor soundscapes
From: "Matt Blaze" matthew.blaze
Date: Mon Jul 6, 2009 10:25 pm ((PDT))
John,

Thanks very much for the comments.

Your point about all recording being about illusion is well taken.  I
think an analogy with photography is
may be useful here.  The f/64 group (Weston, Adams, etc) advanced the
ideal of "straight photography", aiming
to be devoid of "artistic" manipulation and presenting a simple,
direct perspective on the world as it is found.
It's ultimately impossible, of course -- all photography, like all
recording, involves inherent creative
manipulation through choices, selection, and so on, but it does
clearly stake out an aesthetic territory that
describes quite a bit of what many nature recordists seem to be trying
to achieve.

It's interesting that the heyday of the f/64 group was a time when
photography wasn't yet fully recognized
as a legitimate art from of its own -- a state of affairs from which I
fear field recording still suffers.

Best

-matt

mab blogs at http://www.crypto.com/blog/