Re: Stereo techniques for outdoor soundscapes

Subject: Re: Stereo techniques for outdoor soundscapes
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Thu Jul 9, 2009 10:37 pm ((PDT))
Hi Mike, It would be fun to listen to your recording, but I come across ogg
files so seldom I'm not sure what software to use. At any rate, they don't open
in my browser (Firefox) or Audition 1.5.  Any suggestions for the simplest way
to listen to them. Or any chance you could post MP3 versions?

John Hartog

--- In  "picnet2" <> wrote:

> Hi,
>    Also mic placement in the field is pretty critical as Ive found out on my
> first field(sea?) trip. Maybe its obvious to some but Im learning by
> literally getting my feet wet.
>
> These are cropped sections from the original recordings / no eq except my
> choice of mic placement (to keep Bernie Happy)
>
> The Rode NT4 hanging off a tripod near the waves & shell debris.
> http://urlme.net/audio/rodent4.ogg
>
> Binaural:
> http://urlme.net/audio/ownhead.ogg
> My head with a couple of the capsules rob mentioned below.
>
> Sennheiser MZK Dummy head & dual capsules just inside the pinna:
> Position wasnt "good" the incoming wave caused an odd swooshing sound as it
> approached.
>
> Slightly better but marred by the nightlife cranking the volume up :(
> http://urlme.net/audio/mzknicespotbadmusic.ogg
> Im standing about 30 ft from the shoreline in about 2 Ft of water, heads on a
> tripod, mine was looking at the stars at this point..
>
> Ive yet to venture into soundfield mics, lack of channels / recorder is one
> reason - Im rather fond of binaural setups and a well placed ORTFish rig
> using NT1A's.
>
> BR,
> Mike.
> On location & drying his feet.
>
> --- In  Rob Danielson <type@> wrote:
> >
> > At 4:06 PM +0000 7/6/09, Matt Blaze wrote:
> > >--- In
> > ><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>

> > >Rob,
> > >
> > >Thanks for the reply. I agree -- in many cases these are very
> > >different mics, and what we're hearing is as much due to the
> > >different models' wide variance in response curves and overall
> > >quality as to the configurations. On the other hand, for some of
> > >the subjects, there's just no substitute for simultaneous recordings
> > >in exposing the differences in the images. In the woods example,
> > >for instance, if you listen to the first few seconds of each clip,
> > >the level and position of the bird call on the right is very
> > >different in the three recordings. Knowing that they were recorded
> > >at (about) the same position and the same time is rather revealing
> > >about the images produced.
> > >
> > >There doesn't seem to be any right answer, short of winning the
> > >lottery (always a good strategy!) and getting a few more pairs of
> > >MKH800s. Actually even that is problematic -- the 800's seem
> > >to be usable outdoors only inside a blimp. They are by far
> > >the most wind and shock sensitive mics in my arsenal.
> > >
> > >It occurs to me that the *right* way to do this would be to use
> > >a bunch of Ambisonic-type microphones, say 2 on a Jecklin
> > >disk and another two at some spacing. That could simulate
> > >XY, Jecklin, some spaced directional configurations, maybe more,
> > >with similar coloration and response characteristics in all of
> > >them.
> > >
> > >But that would involve at least three new mics, plus hauling
> [...]

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: