Re: Does PIP increase LF noise?

Subject: Re: Does PIP increase LF noise?
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon Jul 6, 2009 1:04 am ((PDT))
At 3:12 PM +0800 7/6/09, D Secomb wrote:
>hi to those in this discussion
>While contemplating the best way to do a test, could some one such as
>Klas do the following in the mean time. A recording with the following:-
>1- A Mic using PIP
>2- the same mic but powered by a battery box with the PIP turned off.

Hi David--

You may have already noticed that Klas posted his test on the LS-10
yesterday and there's no noise introduced by the LS-10's PIP circuit.

>By listening to these side by side , one may able the judge if there is
>an audio difference. True, it isn't a definitive test, it may give a
>feel if and how PIP is going to impact on our recordings.
>
>Dan. Would the Sony DCM D50 (126 dBu) also could be a good match for the
>EM 23.

Yes, smaller, negative EIN numbers  (e.g. -126 dBu) are indicative of
recorders with lower (better) noise performance. I'm quite certain
you would encounter no additional noise using PIP on this Sony unit
or the older Hi-MD recorders.

>Concerning noisier mics with 22dB that use PIP. Correct me if I'm
>wrong,could there be a noise issue when using some of the noisier
>recorders such as Zoom, especially if there is a noticeable increase in LF=
?

Very unlikely. The self-noise from these mics is likely to mask any
noise contributed by the PIP circuit. Further, if using a lower noise
PIP mic with some units like the H2, the PIP can be turned off and a
battery supply for the mic can be used.

We don't have an input noise measurement for the H2 yet to the best
of my knowledge, just verbal descriptions.  Rob D.