Re: ERROR! recorder behavior when 2GB file size is reached

Subject: Re: ERROR! recorder behavior when 2GB file size is reached
From: "Richard L. Hess" richardlhess
Date: Sun Jul 5, 2009 2:07 pm ((PDT))
I sent the update below to the list updating Oryoki's wonderful list.

What I wrote is apparently NOT TRUE. The Zoom H2 does NOT reliably
split files. While some testing indicated it did well at the 2 GB
limit, another recent test was horrid with all sorts of junk.

The H2 started creating junk 244 ms before the file switch and this
junk lasted about 61 ms. The 183 ms at the end of the file may or may
not have been useable and there may have been a delay between the end
of the file and the next file, I couldn't be sure (it was slow piano music)=
.

We CANNOT rely on the H2 to record more than 2 GB seamlessly. It is
fine for conference recordings and things like that, but, even there,
I'd try and set it so that you didn't run into the 2 GB limit. It
might even be advisable to select 16 bit vs. 24 bit if that helps
what you're doing.

Sorry to mislead--I did so unintentionally and am now correcting my error.

Regards,

Richard

At 08:25 AM 2009-07-01, Richard L. Hess wrote:
>At 01:30 PM 2009-06-15, oryoki2000 wrote:
> >Here's my list of recorders and their behavior when the file
> >size gets to 2GB.  Corrections and additions always welcome.
> >--oryoki
>
> >Save file, open new file, continue recording at 2GB
> >not quite "seamless," brief delay before second file starts
> >-------------------------------------
> >M-audio Microtrack 24/96 (firmware 1.3.3)
> >Zoom H2
>
>I think later firmware versions may have corrected this--at least
>partially. When I ran the test at 96/24 stereo, there was glitching,
>however at 44.1/24, no glitching was evident and it did not appear to
>have an audible gap in the sound (I was just recording ambient).
>Maybe I missed it.

Richard L. Hess
Aurora, Ontario, Canada       http://www.richardhess.com/
Detailed contact information: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/contact.htm =