Re: XLR cables in Japan, and DAC

Subject: Re: XLR cables in Japan, and DAC
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Sun Mar 8, 2009 2:37 pm ((PDT))
--- In  "justinasia" <> wrote:

> > What software are you using?
>
> Ah.. haven't got that far yet. I am finding there are so many steps to
> arrange! I thought I would do some recording before tackling that stage, but
> if you have any good free software to recommend I'd be happy to hear it. Up
> until now the only editing I have been doing is with Audacity.

Check out Wave Editor. It's written from the ground up, in Cocoa, specifically
for Mac OSX and takes advantage of all of the Mac's internal audio capabilities:

http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/waveeditor/

It's not free ($79 US to register), but you can download a fully operational
trial version for 15 days.

I've been playing with it for a few weeks; in fact, I just registered a few
minutes ago, before replying to this post. Considering it includes Izotope's
SRC and dither (both regareded by many high fidelity mastering engineers to be
the best on the market) as part of the price, it's a very good purchase. The
only other way I know to get Izotope's SRC and dither is to buy their Rx
Advanced, which is way more expensive.

You'll need SRC (Sample Rate Conversion) and dither if/when you want to convert
your 24/96 recordings to CD format (16/44.1).

You can see a comparison of different SRC algorithms here:

http://src.infinitewave.ca/

Check out how Izotope's SRCs compare against most others on the market. The
goal with these graphs, by the way, is to get a line beginning at 0s and
finishing at 5s, with a solid black background. Any other lines on the screen,
or a less than solid black background, are caused by artefacts of the
conversion process and are not desired.

Wave Editor apparently allows you to edit/compile CD master and burn them to
disc, although I haven't used it for that yet so I can't comment on how well it
works. The sound quality is excellent, but the user interface is strange (to
me, at least). It uses a 'layers' paradigm, rather like PhotoShop, and I'm
still getting used to that idea. But I'm liking what I'm hearing...

- Greg Simmons

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: