Fwd: Off topic? rumble advice requested

Subject: Fwd: Off topic? rumble advice requested
From: "Lou Judson" inaudio
Date: Thu Mar 5, 2009 7:38 am ((PST))
 From another e-list - are there any environmental protection laws
for sound? This would be so intolerable for me, and it is apparently
affecting a large area! Think of the critters whose lives are
disrupted, though probably no elephants.

Some of us would love to go record this for evidence, but I don't
know where it is... Is there a legal defense against it?

<L>

Begin forwarded message:

The problem I'm seeking advice on relates to a friend in another
state who is experiencing what I suspect to be machinery related
rumble problems from a recently constructed woodchip plant approx 5
kms from his semi-rural property. He likens the sound to "a large jet
in the distance" and says it is making life unbearable inside and
outside his house. I havent heard the sound yet due to the tyranny of
distance.

I suspect such problems can only be dealt with efficiently at the
source, not the destination. I also suspect at least some of the
sound he hears/feels is transmitted via the ground.

The plant has admitted the problem exists, but a solution hasnt been
forthcoming. The hours of operation have now been restricted (no
longer 24/7), but the problem hasnt reduced when the plant is
running. The plant seems to hope my friend and his neighbors will
eventually give up.