Introduction, and question on Cicada calls.

Subject: Introduction, and question on Cicada calls.
From: "Alec" pan3dpan
Date: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:50 pm ((PST))
Hello all.
First an introduction. I'm Alec Kennedy, from the Far North of New
Zealand, where light pollution is low (ideal for my astrophotography),
and where noise pollution is low, which is ideal for my new interest
in recording nature's sounds. I've been lurking for a couple of months
now, trying to absorb enough knowledge to ask a sensible question. I
have a life-long interest in reproducing and listening to high quality
sound, but I've always taken the recording side for granted, until
now. I have a Tascam DR-1 and a Panasonic stereo lapel mic. Woefully
inadequate for nature's sounds, but hey, everyone has to start
somewhere. I've been following the reports on the new Tascam and
others, with interest.
So, my question.
Has anyone succesfully recorded the solo call of a cicada ? I realise
it's winter in the North, but "down-under" it's peak season for the
cicada, and their racket drowns out any other nature sound, day and
night. So, "if you can't beat them, join them".
The actual sound level is not a problem, they are loud, and you can
poke the microphone within a couple of inches. So, mic and preamp
noise is not a problem. My problem seems to be the frequency response
of my "system". What starts out, to the ear, as a series of clicks and
raspy sounds, ends up being recorded as something very diferent,
actually a much richer sound and even more pleasant than the original.
I suspect as a result of the higher harmonics not being recorded.
So, has anyone experienced this ? Can you suggest what sort of
frequency response would be adequate, desirable, perfect ?
Cheers,
Alec

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: