Introduction, and question on Cicada calls.

Subject: Introduction, and question on Cicada calls.
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:13 am ((PST))
<<The actual sound level is not a problem, they are loud, and you can
poke the microphone within a couple of inches. So, mic and preamp
noise is not a problem. My problem seems to be the frequency response
of my "system". What starts out, to the ear, as a series of clicks and
raspy sounds, ends up being recorded as something very diferent,
actually a much richer sound and even more pleasant than the original.
I suspect as a result of the higher harmonics not being recorded.
So, has anyone experienced this ? Can you suggest what sort of
frequency response would be adequate, desirable, perfect ?>>

If you have placed the mic within a couple inches, as you mention, you
are experiencing proximity effect, which is an increase of low
frequencies with decreasing distant to the source. This is just an
inevitable aspect of all microphones, in varying degrees depending
primarily on the pickup pattern. If you back off 18" or so most of the
proximity effect will be nullified. There is no perfect response, just
the one you find accomplishes your recording goals. In recording, we
manipulate proximity effect for aesthetic reasons. If you need a
closer version of reality, omni mics at some distance will provide a
more objective, purist documentation of your subject.

Scott Fraser