1. Re: Marantz PMD661 self-noise test results

Subject: 1. Re: Marantz PMD661 self-noise test results
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:05 pm ((PST))
At 4:35 PM +0000 2/18/09, escalation746 wrote:
>Thanks again Oryoki.
>
>The Marantz PMD661 now appears to be the lightest and smallest solid
>state recorder on the market that has the crucial XLR sockets and full
>spec phantom power. At 552cc and 410g it is half the weight and
>one-third the size of the Fostex FR-2LE, though that device has
>distinctly lower noise floor and twice the battery life, as you note.
>
>They compete at the same price point, making the decision an
>interesting one.
>
>-- robin

Hi Robin and Oryoki--

Yes, the PMD661 looks be about the same size as Tom's Art Phantom II.
http://tinyurl.com/b9se7n

With the 661's extreme similarity to Hi-MD in terms of field-tested
audible input (pre) noise, we can apply some practical examples we
have learned from Hi-MD.

A number of recordists have noticed that the the input noise of HiMD
recorders is barely audible with MKH-40 mics with 12B(A) self-noise.
If one is planning to use noisier mics, the 661's input noise should
not be audible-- regardless of gain used. Of course, manufacturer
self-noise figures can be off, but this might provide another way for
recordists to consider their needs in relation to the 661. As for the
661's use with lower self-noise mics, I know a couple of recordists
who use their FR-22-LE with their AT3202's [8db(A) self-noise)
instead of their Hi-MD/Art Phantom II because of the former's better
noise performance.

If Olympus and Korg are paying attention as they design their
recorders aimed more at the pro applications, maybe we'll finally
have a number of _small_ recorder options hitting the Hi-MD benchmark
in terms of noise performance. If any jump this criteria and shrink a
Fostex FR-2LE, they'll have a leg up. Rob D.