Re: New netlabel release

Subject: Re: New netlabel release
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Sun Feb 8, 2009 1:09 am ((PST))
--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> For me, "correct" tonal balance is kind of like "correct" color
> temperature for lighting-- there are different color pallets to chose
> from.

Agreed... there are numerous 'tonal temperatures' that will work, depending=
 on what
you're trying to communicate.

> I usually EQ critical material from scratch at least three
> times at different sittings and then compare all three before
> refining the one I like best. Sure is powerful to be able to save all
> of the adjustments compared to on-the-fly mix settings of yore.

I guess I'm more of a 'purist', FWIW. My preference is not to use EQ at all=
! But there are
many situations where tonal adjustment is required and/or worthwhile. I ten=
d to find the
right frequencies quite quickly, but spend ages going back and forth betwee=
n different
amounts of cutting/boosting and bandwidth. Sometimes it will be a few days =
later that I
decide to take another listen, say to myself "what was I thinking?" and win=
d it back a bit.

In addition to critical and analytical listening, I also like to have the f=
inished recording
playing in the background while I do other things (like typing emails). I f=
ind there are often
things that will jump out under those 'non listening' circumstances, which =
I don't seem to
notice when I'm concentrating on the sound itself, and those things are usu=
ally worth
fixing or enhancing.

The other silly thing is that I'll spend ages fiddling with less than a dB'=
s worth of boost or
cut, seeing how it affects the sounds 'around' the one I'm trying to focus =
on. I doubt
anyone would ever know the difference, but it makes me happy. :-)

> I had some discussion with a couple of capable programmers about what
> I'd like to see in equalization plugs. Most of what I need revolves
> around detecting sinusoidal waves which should make the task simpler,
> I thought. They pointed out that there are a half dozen noise
> reduction apps which, in part, analyze and attempt to dynamically
> attenuate sinusoidal waves. I didn't learn what makes the task is so
> challenging, but if the effectiveness of these apps on broadband
> material is an indication-- we might need to provide some kind of
> assistance if we hope to get help any time soon.  Rob D.

It would be cool if one of the programmers was actually a nature recordist.=
 LIkewise for
the people who design portable recorders...

Samplitude/Sequoia offers some impressive FFT EQ, where you can notch out a=
 single
frequency (or frequency bucket?) without affecting frequencies on either si=
de - unlike a
notch filter. I have used it to remove feedback from live concert recording=
s; impressive
stuff.

- Greg Simmons

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: