Re: Sony PCM D50 Test (was Comparative noise levels of xlr + recorde

Subject: Re: Sony PCM D50 Test (was Comparative noise levels of xlr + recorde
From: "justinasia" justinasia
Date: Fri Feb 6, 2009 7:08 pm ((PST))

> Below is a link to a test we can use to confirm this. The audible
> noise "bump" or increase when going from the section featuring NT2000
> -> Art -> D50 to the section featuring NT2000 -> MP-2 -> D50  should
> not be any greater the noise "bump" you can hear between the first
> two samples on this test if all of the components are working
> correctly

Hi Rob
For me, the most noticeable difference between the first 2 recordings
on your test, is that there is a high pitched sound when going through
the SD722 which seems to be missing when going through the minidisk.
Is it actually missing, or am I perceiving it like that due to it
being covered by the extra noise of the minidisk? Or does it mean the
minidisk is cutting out high frequences? (That may be undesirable for me).

As to the difference between "line in" noise between the LS-10 and the
PCM-D50, will this be noticeable? The reason I ask is because I am
presuming that we use a lot more gain when using "mic in" than using
"line in" so I was wondering whether the added noise of the line in
might actually not appear in the recordings.

As Philip pointed out, it seems that the AT-3032 mics have a
self-noise of 8dB(A) compared with the Rode NT-2000 which has 7db(A),
so I thought the result would be very near that of Andrew's tests. I
look forward to the results after trouble-shooting. I'd much
appreciate being put on the CC list about trouble-shooting that.

Justin