Marantz PMD 661 Super MOD (Oade brothers)

Subject: Marantz PMD 661 Super MOD (Oade brothers)
From: "justinasia" justinasia
Date: Fri Feb 6, 2009 9:11 pm ((PST))
I thought that this may be interesting for some of you. I have been
enquiring about the new Marantz PMD 661 and the mod that the Oade
brothers do to it. Although the battery life is far lower than the
SONY PCM-D50, it would appear that this modded 661 would be quieter
than the D50 by 2dB, bringing it only 1dB below the Fostex FR2LE. His
"FR2LE Super MOD" appears to give the same noise rating as the
SoundDevices 722. Though I would expect the SoundDevices, to be the
most durable and I guess the Sony to be the second most durable of
these devices, do you think these noise rating give us a fair way of
comparing their sound quality?

Here is what Doug Oade has said about the noise levels:

" The improvement is about 3dB resulting in an EIN of about -128dBu
for the 661 Super MOD.  It would not have as much gain as the MixPre
but would have much better detail and clarity as it has a higher SFDR
on the front end.
 I like the FR2LE Super MOD for acoustic music recording best, EIN is
about 130dBu post MOD. Why is simple, I can use much better capacitors
in the signal path plus it has a better A/D chip and less electronics
in the signal path. It does not have as much gain as the 661, but it
is close. It also uses a simple,  pure FET signal path up to the A/D
chip. This gives it the most natural sound and the best low level
detail. If you listen carefully and use headphones or a hi resolution
playback system, I feel confident you will agree.
I hope this helps and thanks for the inquiry...Doug"

Here is his page about the item:
http://www.oade.com/digital_recorders/hard_disc_recorders/PMD-661MODS.html

Justin

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: