Sony PCM D50 Test (was Comparative noise levels of xlr + recorder

Subject: Sony PCM D50 Test (was Comparative noise levels of xlr + recorder
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Feb 7, 2009 8:15 am ((PST))
At 3:08 AM +0000 2/7/09, justinasia wrote:
>  > Below is a link to a test we can use to confirm this. The audible
>>  noise "bump" or increase when going from the section featuring NT2000
>>  -> Art -> D50 to the section featuring NT2000 -> MP-2 -> D50 should
>>  not be any greater the noise "bump" you can hear between the first
>>  two samples on this test if all of the components are working
>>  correctly
>
>Hi Rob
>For me, the most noticeable difference between the first 2 recordings
>on your test, is that there is a high pitched sound when going through
>the SD722 which seems to be missing when going through the minidisk.
>Is it actually missing, or am I perceiving it like that due to it
>being covered by the extra noise of the minidisk? Or does it mean the
>minidisk is cutting out high frequences? (That may be undesirable for me).

Here's a sonogram http://tinyurl.com/c4yo29 (left channel on top)

I can't hear the 13K Hz whine (age) but I suspect its atmospheric--
probably my wife's computer in another room. The gain for all of
these tests is at maximum. There may be other whines and sounds that
you are hearing disappear because the frequency response of both the
lowest and highest octaves does "roll-off" more rapidly with the
Hi-MD pre compared to the pre in the SD 722. Its not a huge audible
difference but potentially its very significant for those who work
with high and low frequencies a lot. The main practical difference I
hear in my work aside from the additional "zizz" above 6KHz is in the
lowest two octaves where the 722/744 has much better response. Also
(in the sonogram) note the noise whine the Hi-MD pre is introducing
at ~9KHz. These concentrated bands of noise are the easiest to remove
with less audible impact.

>As to the difference between "line in" noise between the LS-10 and the
>PCM-D50, will this be noticeable? The reason I ask is because I am
>presuming that we use a lot more gain when using "mic in" than using
>"line in" so I was wondering whether the added noise of the line in
>might actually not appear in the recordings.

I don't know of any reports of the LS-10's -10dB line input being
noisy or noisier. Its a rare problem.

>As Philip pointed out, it seems that the AT-3032 mics have a
>self-noise of 8dB(A) compared with the Rode NT-2000 which has 7db(A),
>so I thought the result would be very near that of Andrew's tests. I
>look forward to the results after trouble-shooting. I'd much
>appreciate being put on the CC list about trouble-shooting that.

  Sure. Realizing that you may have high-quality needs and expect
situations where ease is paramount might be an important step in your
decision-making. Most recordists have multiple rigs.  Rob D.