Sony PCM D50 Test (was Comparative noise levels of xlr + recorder

Subject: Sony PCM D50 Test (was Comparative noise levels of xlr + recorder
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Feb 6, 2009 12:07 pm ((PST))

http://tinyurl.com/c8l8x3

>The comparison recording is in 3 second segments:
>
>(1)  The built-in mics
>
>(2)  The built-in mics (with the low-cut filter on?)
>
>(3)  One Rode NT2000 mic into the 1/8" mic input of the D50 (How do
>you power the NT2000's with a Rolls or Art Phantom)?
>
>(4) Rode -> Mix Pre -> Line Input of the D50. unknown setting variable A
>
>(5) Rode -> Mix Pre -> Line Input of the D50. unknown setting variable B
>
>(6) Rode -> Mix Pre -> Line Input of the D50. unknown setting variable C
>
>(7) Rode -> Mix Pre -> Line Input of the Hi-MD. Unknown settings.
>Not sure where the rumble came from.

Hi Andrew--
Sorry to edit your report. Please correct me if I have the test
variables above stated wrong.

 From what I can tell, there should be very little noise change
between test sections 3 and 4 assuming you used a compatible phantom
power supply. If you want to contact me, off-list, we'll try to get
to the bottom of the results you got. As for the "rumble" in 7 that
is not in 6, it might be that you had a "Hi Pass" filter on the Mix
Pre turned "On" in 6 and off for 7. Rob D.