The Black Forest

Subject: The Black Forest
From: "Hugh Livingston" oaklandonian
Date: Fri Feb 6, 2009 9:39 am ((PST))
I am traveling to Germany in the spring and want to do some recording
of sounds of the Schwarzwald and the Rhein for a musical project.
Does anyone have any recommendations of spots to visit? Is there a
lot of air traffic to worry about? The project has to do with
imagining what Eichendorff and Schumann (poet and composer) might
have heard in the 19th C. I am not trying to recreate that, but to
interrogate the issues surrounding the inspiration that they got from
the natural environment, and in general what it means to write 'river
music' and 'forest music'.

I have places to stay in Kressbonn on Bodensee, Aarau, Berne, Luzern,
Freiburg and Strasbourg, and am looking for day trips from those
places, possibly without a car. Any local tips would be much
appreciated.

Thank you.

Hugh

--