Re: The Black Forest

Subject: Re: The Black Forest
From: "Volker Widmann" volwid
Date: Fri Feb 6, 2009 4:05 pm ((PST))
Hello Hugh!

Me and my friend Walter Tilgner would be more than happy to assist you
and show you our favourite recording locations.
We both live directly at Lake Constance in Konstanz and Allensbach
across the lake from Kressbronn. We also can give you some tips where to
go in Switzerland and Alsace.

Airplanes _are_ a problem. Zurich and Basel Airports are the main source
of airplanes in the area you go to. But when you know the routes you can
avoid the worst noise.
Worse is the problem with traffic noise as the southwest of Germany and
its surrounding areas are among the most populated areas in Europe.
But one can help it a bit by choosing the location carefully away from
the big roads. Sundays usually have least traffic, also public holidays
are fine, normal weekdays are mostly very bad almost everywhere. Wind
also has to be taken into account. Whenever there are so called Foehn
winds nature recording is not really possible as due to reflections from
the air layers any noise will be enormously amplified and transported
for several kilometers.

Please reply off-list and let me know your schedule, so we can meet you.

Cheers

Volker Widmann

www.songsfromthewood.de

www.natur-tilgner.de