Re: Edirol UA-25EX (question)

Subject: Re: Edirol UA-25EX (question)
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Jan 9, 2009 3:18 pm ((PST))
At 8:31 PM +0000 1/9/09, Lindsay Cargill wrote:
>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
m,
>Rob Danielson <> wrote:
>
>>  There are several, low
>>  cost, ~ .3 amp portable power supplies out there
>>  made for iPods that should work assuming it will
>>  operate without a computer.
>
>Yeah, it's really this question of whether it would work without a
>computer that is the issue. My understanding is that the 'destination'
>recorder would have to have relevant software containing the ASIO and
>DirectX drivers to 'talk' with the UA-25EX in the conversion process ?
>This is also usually met in the form of the software that you are
>recording to. This probably scuppers its use with a FR2LE unfortunately.
>
>Might still try one for the old home recording direct to disk, and
>ditch the digital 8 track though!
>
>Lindsay
>
>_

Hi Lindsay--

"Standalone operation" does seem to be a rarity among features
advertised for audio interfaces. M-Audio makes three units with it:
The Fast Track USB Audio Interface; The Profire 2626 and the The
ProFire 610 FireWire. It looks like an active usb/firewire connection
is not absolutely necessary in order to pass analog audio; it depends
on the design. The block diagram in the UA-25EX's manual shows a
"direct [analog] monitor" which by-passes the a-d/usb/d-a circuit and
connects to the analog output section. We may have to wait until
someone tries it and lets it be known. Rob D.