Re: First post--Need Some Advice

Subject: Re: First post--Need Some Advice
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:05 pm ((PST))
Hi Sean,

Can we please keep this discussion pertinent to nature recording, and
drop the "ENG" references. Anyone who wants to enjoy listening to
their tv in stereo can easily send the signal through their stereo system.

There is nothing inherently wrong with recording in mono, just like
there is nothing wrong with recording with a noisy mic. However, it
will limit the potential of your recording.

In competition, a mono recording might turn out better than a stereo
recording. That is because there are a lot of other variables involved
- most significantly, it is a game of chance.

John Hartog

--- In  Sean Farrell
<> wrote:

> I think we also need to ask ourselves how many people really watch
the news in stereo. I don't. Are ALL interviews/broadcasts conducted
in stereo? Highly unlikely.
> Does it matter if the interview was conducted with 2 different
microphones if the person watching the interview will be listening on
a mono tv set? It sounds like Walt's mind is already made up so maybe
we could conduct some A/B testing to see if he can actually hear the
difference in a blind test.

> One more thing. The standard ENG mic seems to be the Electro Voice
RE50 which is a mono mic. When are we going to see newscasters using
stereo mics as often as they are using mono mics?