Re: First post--Need Some Advice

Subject: Re: First post--Need Some Advice
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:31 am ((PST))
Posted by: "John Hartog"

> I really don't mind when other fields of work come up as long as
> discussions somehow tie directly to nature recording.

I don't mind limited discussion either.  But when some other field's
criteria or practices are being held up as how nature recording should
be done.....

> His reply was that he was
> stuck with what the station supplied him with, and they were not
> willing to set him up with better equipment.

Like all of biology research except hunting and fishing the DNR non-game
here has to pretty much come up with their funds and equipment by
begging and borrowing outside the state system.  The state will barely
fund paying them and the land and building that's their headquarters are
even donated (by a big timber company).  So they do their call
recordings with lower level shotgun mics and cassette recorders. They do
know the value of stereo and would do it in a minute if they could.
I've donated things like wind protection of their mics and of course my
CD that they sell to raise funds to help out.