1. Re: mkh hiss in quiet locations...

Subject: 1. Re: mkh hiss in quiet locations...
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Sep 5, 2008 6:44 am ((PDT))
At 11:17 AM +0200 9/5/08, dobroide wrote:
>Hi,
>
>(Juan Carlos, I emailed you directly, then thought other readers might
>like to know)
>
>compared to my own MKHs (link below), I think there's too much noise
>in your samples. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to know whther
>the noise comes from the mics, the preamp you used or both - although
>I'm tempted to say the preamp is the culprit
>
>Also note the MKH's are highly sensitive mics but not particularly
>quiet, so huge gain will result in considerably noisy recordings no
>matter what you do
>
>My own noise profile, recorded in an empty room at home (many muffled
>sounds coming through walls)
>
><http://www.filedropper.com/mkh60-30>http://www.filedropper.com/mkh60-30
>
>data: mkh60 and mkh30 respectively to the left and right channels of a
>Shure FP24 preamp. First half of the sample is with maximum
>amplification (around 70 dB, useless in real life, IMHO). Second half
>of the sample had gain notches set at 13:00h, i.e, the setting I most
>often use
>
>Regards

Hi Dobroide--

Such test recordings do bring out the worst in mics and pres!  Their
primary value is to help one determine whether the differences you
can hear are significant to you.  Correct, you are not likely to
playback a recording of room tone at a loud level. It is important to
turn down the playback to a comfortable, realistic level. In many
cases, noise and other performance differences will be lessened.

Differences in the acoustic settings will usually obscure one's
ability to compare different tests (along with other variables). Thus
the term, "room tone."  That said-- if you want  to hear the tests
compared: