Re: How long? (was: Critter IDs - North Central Minnesota)

Subject: Re: How long? (was: Critter IDs - North Central Minnesota)
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:15 pm ((PDT))
Hi Curt,

I too like the idea of making nature recordings educational - as Dan
and Greg do.

For most of the CDs I have made so far, each has featured one
recording location or session. I usually put a new track at or near
every crossfade to identify any shift in date and time, and I often
add extra track divisions to highlight sections of interest.  For a
full CD I shoot for 50 to 80 minutes: an hour is good.

Inspired by Bernie's model, I have shifted over to mp3 albums in
zipped folders that can be sent electronically. However, this requires
slightly different approach when planning track placement.  While CD
Audio players play smoothly between tracks of continuing material, I
find MP3 players often place noticeable gaps between tracks. Or is
there a way to encode mp3s not to do that?

Your 12 minute recording would work great on a variety album (CD or
mp3) of 6 to 10 recordings of fairly similar length.

John Hartog
www.rockscallop.org

--- In  "Greg Weddig" <>