Re: Hello (questions about parabolic mic for recording monkey vocal

Subject: Re: Hello (questions about parabolic mic for recording monkey vocal
From: "Jim Lee" wranch2000
Date: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:37 pm ((PDT))
Hi Derrick,
Well, I am feeling a little guilty here since I kind of started all of
that umbrella hat parabolic stuff. It now has a life of its own and
seems to be spreading.
It is included in the latest edition of Make magazine #14 (on the
newsstand now)
http://www.make-digital.com/make/vol14/?pg=138&search=parabolic+mic&u1=texterity&cookies=1

There is even an associated how-to video produced by the magazine at:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1408076/umbrella_parabolic_microphone/
And of course there is the Instructables page at:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Dollar-Store-Parabolic-Mic/
The original version is at:
http://www.bambooturtle.us/ParabolicMicrophone.html

That said, a little word of warning. The bottom line here is that this
is not a very rugged device that can hold up to extended field use. Nor
is it something I would recommend for scientific use. Yes it is
inexpensive, lightweight, collapsible, and perhaps even disposable. It
should hold up ok for a couple of weeks but expect to have to handle it
gently in the field. As with the umbrella hat, the little tie-clip
lavalier ( If you are talking about the one from Radio Shack) is of only
average quality. Don't expect pristine, high quality recordings. If the
examples of recordings on the Make, Instructables, or my own web sites
are good enough for you, then you are in business! Let us know how
things turn out.

 Jim Lee