3. Re: OLYMPUS LS-10 VS DAT RECORDINGS UPLOADED

Subject: 3. Re: OLYMPUS LS-10 VS DAT RECORDINGS UPLOADED
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Tue Jul 8, 2008 7:43 am ((PDT))
I just wrote:

> Rob Danielson wrote:
>
> > Just want to be sure about the source of the noise. When I tested 16
> > bit quantizing noise pretty carefully a while back, the background
> > level peaks in the recording had to be in the -60 dB range (96 dBFS)
> > for quantizing noise to be heard at 16 bits.  Is that the saturation
> > range you're working with with the files recorded in Lo Sens mode at
> > the "10" setting? Rob D.
>
> Yes, this is absolutely true. The full-scale level at the REC LEVEL
> setting 10 (and MIC SENSE set to LOW) is -30 dBu. So, your (probably
> very safe) -60 dB limit would be at -90 dBu. However, the microphone
> self noise level of the K6/ME67 is at -110 dBu.

Rob,

Oops, my most recent post was obviously not the correct answer to your
question. The correct calculation should be as follows:

The full-scale level at the REC LEVEL setting 10 (and MIC SENSE set to
LOW) is -30 dBu. So, the theoretic quantization noise floor at this
setting should be -30 dBu - 96 dB = -126 dBu. However, the microphone
self noise level of the K6/ME67 is -110 dBu. This means that there is
a theoretic margin of only 16 dB, which is obviously not enough to
fully mask the quantization noise.

Regards,
Raimund