3. Re: OLYMPUS LS-10 VS DAT RECORDINGS UPLOADED

Subject: 3. Re: OLYMPUS LS-10 VS DAT RECORDINGS UPLOADED
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Tue Jul 1, 2008 11:47 pm ((PDT))
Vicki Powys wrote:

> Raimund suggested that the LS-10 might give a better result on low
> sensitivity at higher gain, rather than high sensitivity at a lower
> gain.  (I had been recording lyrebirds with a Sennheiser ME67 at high =

> sensitivity on volume 2).
>
> I just tried a test indoors, using the ME67 mic with the LS-10, using =

> a ticking metronome at 5 metres to set the levels so that the
> recorder would peak at around - 6dB.
>
> The best result with less noise was with the LOW SENSITIVITY setting!
>
> Thanks for the suggestion Raimund.
>
> High sensitivity and volume 2 is about equal to low sensitivity at
> volume 8.  There is definitely less noise at volume 8 in the low
> sensitivity setting.
>
> Vicki Powys
> Australia
>
> PS I wholeheartedly agree with remarks by Aaron Ximm.  His wonderful
> one minute vacations show just what can be achieved with lightweight
> gear.

Thanks for reporting this test Vicky. Your experience supports my
hypothesis that there is in most cases no reason to worry about the
preamplifier noise even of the cheaper field recorders as long as you
 use a microphone with a high output level (around 50 mV/Pa), such as
the Sennhesier K6/ME6x series.

Regards,
Raimund