Re: Olympus LS-10 reviews

Subject: Re: Olympus LS-10 reviews
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Tue Jul 1, 2008 6:18 pm ((PDT))
--- In  Max Catterwell
<> wrote:

> Having concluded that the likes of the LS-10 don't really cut the
> mustard, and are apparently a waste of money, I'm sure that a lot of
> beginners like myself, and more importantly potential beginners, who
> have clearly been ill advised by people like the Wildlife Sound
> Recording Society, would welcome any hints that would save depression
> and abject embarrassment later.

I guess you'd have to start at the factors that lead you (or anyone
else) to conclude that "the likes of the LS10 don't really cut the
mustard, and are apparently a waste of money".

I hope it wasn't my previous post; if so, you misinterpreted what I was
saying. I never mentioned a specific product (although I did quote
Rob's earlier comments about the LS10 as the catalyst). Rather, I was
discussing what I call the 'saviour product' mentality in general,
along with the problem of false economy that often accompanies budget
purchases. Playing a bit of Devil's Advocate, if you like, with the
goal of encouraging people to think twice about what they buy. Sadly,
such talk often bursts the shiny balloon that we pin onto saviour
products, with unpredictable results.

As for depression and abject embarrassment, I've never felt that way
when pulling any bit of audio gear out in the middle of the jungle.
Thankfully, animals aren't precious about what they're being recorded
with. The following conversation has never taken place in my experience:

Elephant: "You're not recording me with that cheap crap!"

Me: "Aw, c'mon. Please? Just one trumpet? No one will notice the
difference..."

As for disappointment and/or embarrassment in front of other people,
why should I care what they think? I chose what I thought was the best
tool for the job and within my budget. If I've researched properly and
known and accepted the limitations of the equipment prior to buying it,
there's nothing to be disappointed or embarrassed about. A big part of
doing my research properly involves identifying the saviour product
mentality and trying to see past it.

Fortunately, most nature recordists I've met are not like music people;
there is relatively little technological elitism in this game. The gear
is such a small part of the whole process...