Re: polar recording

Subject: Re: polar recording
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:04 pm ((PDT))
--- In  "Greg Simmons"
<> wrote:

> --- In  "Rob Danielson" <type@>
> wrote:
>
> > I'd consider putting a 80-160GB HD in the 744T so as not
> > to rely _only_ the external FW drive for recording sessions longer
> > than 39GB.
>
> Is there any validity in using SSD drives? Expensive relative to
> traditional drives, but with no mechanical parts they might prove to be
> true economy. 64GB 3.5" PATA SSD drives are currently available in
> Australia for just over $1k AUD. As I understand it, these are direct
> replacements for existing 3.5" drives. Handy...
>
> - Greg Simmons

[I was hoping to suggest increasing the internal storage space of the
744T with the 80-160 GB drive. Sorry if this wasn't clear.]

Could be,.. one would have to confirm that he PATA SSD card is 100%
compatible with FW interfaces used in your external drive cases.

There might be some applications where an IDE drive in the external
case would be more likely to fail than a PATA SSD card. Might require
a lot less power too.  23 degrees Fahrenheit outside, however, is not
very challenging for an standard external FW drive with 744T as a heat
source. You'd also need at least 2 external drives to be able to swap
them out in the field so greater cost could become quite a factor. Rob D.

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: