Re: polar recording

Subject: Re: polar recording
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:29 pm ((PDT))
--- In  Derek Holzer <>
wrote:

... I imagine that some sort of heating system will need to be used
no matter what, as plastic has a tendency to shatter at sub zero
temperatures and I have yet hear of an all-metal mic!

Hi Derek--

I know the NT2000's and mkh's will withstand those temps-- probably
most mics will. (Based on around 23 degrees F, mean temperature, if
I'm reading the chart right). Looks like its almost always under
freezing which eliminates or greatly reduces the greater problems:
rain and freezing rain. The support systems, wind protection and
keeping the 744T at correct operating temp are probably more pressing
concerns.

The 744T can write to an external FW drive and its Int HD at the
same time. I'd consider putting a 80-160GB HD in the 744T so as not
to rely _only_ the external FW drive for recording sessions longer
than 39GB. Take 3-4 FW drives (extras) for swapping out in the field
after you confirm that the external drive stored the same files. Over-
estimate your battery/power needs and considerably over-size them.
The 744T should generate enough heat in a suitable container. I use
an insulated fanny pack and adjust its zipper as the vent. Rich Peet
uses a metal, water tight ammunition box that both contains the heat
and disperses the excess heat when you place the metal case of the
744T against the box.

Covering large expanses with potentially minimal sounds in
video "sync" is a fun and challenging aesthetic. Creating lots of
options might be a good angle to take. For example, I'd consider
bringing 2-3, different, proven, arrays for stereo ambience and lots
of (rubber jacket) mic cable to be able to physically spread-out the
other two mics where they can capture some unique elements and/or
acoustic prespectives. You can run 1000' of cable on each (condenser)
mic without significant quality loss. Maybe further. Stake off the
cable avery 50-100 feet with some slack.  Rob D.

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: