Re: polar recording

Subject: Re: polar recording
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:49 pm ((PDT))
--- In  Derek Holzer <> wrote:

> I've recently been asked to help with a project where 4 channels of
> microphones will be capturing polar ambiance for 30 straight days.
> Obviously, the main concerns would be ruggedness, ability to withstand
> subzero temperatures and high winds for a whole month, and still be
able
> to capture the environment. My first thoughts are of course the
> Sennheiser MKH series, perhaps in an octahedral configuration. Another
> technician suggested some kind of dynamic mic (but none specifically),
> which might be more sturdy than a condenser. However I know of no
> dynamic mics which could be usable for ambient sound recording.
>
> I've also thought quite a bit about various contact mics, geophones or
> other transducers such as accelerometers, but the basic premise of the
> project is to capture the sound as a person standing in the same
> location might hear it.
>
> Does anyone have experience in this area, and could make some
suggestions?

> Thanks + best!
> Derek Holzer

Hi Derek--
Are you expecting/interested in loud transients like ice cracking or
mostly low-level sounds like distant animal sounds or both? Will the
recorder be manned? Is there any reason you couldn't take a long a few
mic and windscreen options to try for a few days each before the 30
day run? The DPA windjammer is supposed to be very good (I've only
used one a few times in not-so-demanding conditions). I get extremely
good wind noise rejection and reliable performance in very low temps
with an unlikely candidate, the Rode NT2000.

If possible failure is to be avoided, at least one back-up set of mics
is mandatory. If the majority of the sounds are high level, indeed, a
dynamic mic like the RE-50 might be worth including in your
on-location tests.

If I had to travel blind with only four mics/rigs, maybe 4- mkh-20's
with four DPA windjammers?  If I could test mics and was expected to
record very low level sounds, I'd definitely also take 4 NT2000's and
  home-made windcreens. Is there _any_ chance of rain? What wind
speeds are involved?

As as far as the array, I'd need to know more about the lay of the
land at the site, what sounds of importance are sought/expected and
the end-playback/use objectives. Rob D.