Re: Fading In (and Out) of recording segments

Subject: Re: Fading In (and Out) of recording segments
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Tue Jun 3, 2008 11:36 am ((PDT))
I feel compelled to comment that my own experience with making such edits -=
-
which are at the heart of the kind of densely manipulated work I usually do
as a sound artist, not a nature recordist -- has been a true pleasure using
the software that I do, MAGIX Samplitude.

Samplitude's prevailing philosophy is that operations such as fades and cut=
are always calculated "on the fly," rather than "rendered" to files or as
destructive modifications of the original source recordings.

Paired with a complementary philosophy that the interface should always be
"live" -- not locked by "modal" dialogs that don't let you do anything unti=
you press OK/Cancel -- the way you do these edits is very intuitive. You
highlight a range to review, start playback looping over that point -- then
simply experiment with "sliding" the entry and exit point of each clip,
sliding one clip relative to the other, adjust the fade length on either or
both sides (you can do asymmetrical or symmetrical fades), adjust the fade
curve (from linear to various sinusoidal or exponential curves...), etc. --
all while listening to the consequences of those changes in real time.

My own experience has been that being able to quickly adjust 'by ear" as yo=
go like this undeniably improves the final results. For me it lowers the ba=
of "as good as I can make it" to the same heigh as the "good enough" ibe...
when I used previous tools I would inevitably settle for the latter when
doing lots of work, being congenitally a lazy fellow... :)

(The downside is that Samplitude is expensive, and Windows-only... though
with Bootcamp the latter is not as much of a limitation... )

 best,
  aaron

--

quietamerican.org