Re: the two groups....

Subject: Re: the two groups....
From: "clay" cfmspencer
Date: Wed May 28, 2008 6:59 pm ((PDT))
Martyn,

I appreciate the situation you find yourself in here.

I'm mostly a lurker, but still an everyday reader of the group.  I also
belong to quite a few other Yahoo groups, and am moderator on a couple
(neither of which I started), so I have some thoughts I'd like to share.

In my experience, I've seen many splinter groups come and (mostly) go - som=
with coordination of moderator of the main group, some not.  In most all
instances, I've seen the sum of the parts become much less than the sum AS =
whole.  I fear for the group as a whole based on my past experience.

Also, I'd like to comment on Dan's comment regarding 'elite'.  I may be
viewing this incorrectly, but my view is that the elite being referred to
are those who don't/can't/won't use email filters to eliminate what they
don't want to read..   In essence all of this commotion is due to people wh=
will not avoid/delete/filter emails that they are not interested in.
Given the likely negatives (again, IME) of having two groups, I believe thi=
to be a selfish viewpoint of those who want a separate (fractional) group.

Consider posts that are non gear related that are posted in the original
group.  If they are not cross-posted, the members in the splinter group wil=
miss out individually, as will the group as a whole (meaning the collective
list of members).

In order for this NOT to happen, those who wanted the separate group have t=
ask those who did not to do extra work in order to retain the advantages of
the original group.

If they are cross-posted, people who now have to subscribe to two lists (vi=
email) will get duplicates. And then, of course, some replies will be
cross-posted and some will not, etc., etc..  Unless, there is/was a majorit=
of typical posters (as opposed to 1400 mostly lurking members such as
myself) clamoring for this splinter group, it is my strong opinion that the
results will lessen the group more that the gain (if any) of those wanting =
separate group.

I hope I'm wrong, but experience tells me I won't be.

FWIW, I support your decision here, and your right to make whatever decisio=
you feel is warranted.

Cheers,
Clay