Re: New recording group

Subject: Re: New recording group
From: "" jerkabobber
Date: Wed May 28, 2008 4:14 pm ((PDT))
Well, after reading everyone's responses, I thought I'd put in my 2 cents... I
don't expect any responses to this.? I feel strongly on both the tech and
recording sides, having said that I would have to say I am on the fence with
this one. I found out about this this group from Martyn after I emailed him
about his podcast (not knowing who he was at the time other than his
podcast).?I asked him?how I can get started in nature recording and (of course)
he steered me to the group for advice in getting started. I would have to say
that I would be absolutely lost with out this group's tech help, I had no clue
what to buy, and especially had no clue about mic's. Before and after?my gear
purchases I "studied" just about everyone's?chatter about the gear because I
was immersing myself in the lingo and getting used to what it is, what is out
there, and what I could afford. I still read the gear talk, just to keep up on
the advancements and the like. I kinda don't mind the gear talk be
 cause I guess, possibly I'm a wanna-be techie... : )??
But... now that I have my gear I have to say that I am more looking forward
to?posts geared more towards actual recordings, That doesn't make me dislike
the tech posts any less. I love the recording posts more than anything, ya
know, the actual downloadable recording accompanied with a trip report. These I
think make?the forum priceless because one can hear what's happening in a park
half way around the world. I feel like I belong to an elite/professional group
of recorders (some of who's names and recordings I see?in credits of web sites,
are in podcasts, interviewed and used on radio and TV programes) I feel
privileged to be apart of a forum which they participate in, and of course
along with all the others of different levels of expertise. The forum posts do
seem to be gear heavy, but I don't really care. What I think I do care about
is?deep enough split in the group?with no intermingling, but hopefully that
won't happen...

Dave