Re: [gear] MKH 8040 sample comparison

Subject: Re: [gear] MKH 8040 sample comparison
From: "Greg Weddig" gweddig
Date: Thu May 1, 2008 6:13 am ((PDT))
Mike & Michael,
See my comments below:

--- In  Mike Feldman
<> wrote:

> Side by side?   Does that mean each pair was laterally separated?
> I'd have rather heard them vertically coincident ... each pair right
> on top of the other.

Yes, they were laterally seperated by about 1/2 meter, on a modified
gregga array.  See the photos here (though not of the Sennheisers,
it's the same configuration, sans Jecklin disk).

http://gregweddig.net/prettyboy/pp-image.jpg
and
http://gregweddig.net/images/pp-index.jpg

(gregga array: http://www.gregweddig.net/gear.html about halfway down)

For a windscreen I used a pair of Schoeps W5D, which are a sphere of
foam, with a light layer of fabric over it, with an air gap between
the mic and the foam, like a mini zeppelin.

> I'm hard put to hear any difference in the sound quality,
> although I think I sense some differences in material
> or soundstage.  How far apart were the two pairs?

They are about 18" or 0.5 meters apart.

> >  Sorry, but for now these files are streaming only.
>
> It would be nice to have much shorter samples as
> high-rez waves to compare/analyze (eg. 30 sec of 24/96).
> If there's some loud impact source along with quiet, even better.

I will try to post a short 24/96 sample later today.  There is a
definite difference in the sound between the two, which I realized
isn't quite as apparent once the MP3 conversion has had it's way with
the files.

> I'm especially interested in hearing the omni's ... do you have
> Schoeps MK2 capsules to compare?  Even a stereo pair of one 8020
> and one MK2 placed coincidently would be useful.

I only have a single omni (MKH 8020), and I do not have an MK2, but I
will try to contrast my DPA 4006 with the 8020.  And later as I have
access, the MKH20 and 40.

--greg weddig
Baltimore, MD
http://gregweddig.net