Re: Recorder / mic - Please help me decide

Subject: Re: Recorder / mic - Please help me decide
From: "Gallagher" jrain020
Date: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:01 pm ((PDT))
Dear Aaron et.al.

Ive been lurking in this list for months as i'm basically a composer and mu=
sician but I
really enjoy watching you all worrying minutely over microphones and enthus=
ing over
sounds without guilt! I have come feel that ambient listening and recording=
 is a way to
tune my ear for the electro-acoustic music i like to make. Maybe its an att=
empt to
recover an acoustic ecology as Steven Field and friends put it.

im very interested in the results of this powering test for DSM mics
i also have a Sound Devices mp-2 preamp which i would like to use with
my DSMs. An inexpensive powering device is all I need along with some prote=
ction
from blowing up the DSM's by accidentally connecting them to  48volts.

It seems that the only problem you might have with the Sound Professionals =
supply is if
it doesn't provide enough current for the DSM's. Couldn't that be fixed by =
just changing a

I have a pair of the DSM 1s which you said are nosier than the DSM 6 as wel=
l as too
sensitive.
i would like to hear more about your experience with the various DSMs to he=
lp me decide
if i should consider a swap.

I also have Octava 012s and DPA 4061s (the less sensitive ones, because I u=
se them for
live music as well as for recording). I'm thinking about the AT 3032 but he=
sitating
because of my dual use issue. I havent found any clear reviews re their mus=
ical quality.

thanks
joel ryan