Re: Recorder / mic - Please help me decide

Subject: Re: Recorder / mic - Please help me decide
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:15 pm ((PDT))
At 6:02 PM +0000 4/14/08, kf4nrm wrote:
>I've been browsing on this forum for a while and thought I'd ask for
>some suggestions.
>
>What I am looking to buy a unit that I could take hiking and record
>stereo ambient nature sounds with little or no hiss from the mic
>preamps. I was looking at the Fostex FR-2LE along with two AT3032 mics
>set up on a homemade wooden mount (from trackseventeen.com). I have
>$800 to spend. Now I guess this would be ideal - but.....
>
>I am seeing so many ultra-portable recorders on the market
>now(PCM-D50, R-09, PMD-620, etc) with built in mics, long battery
>life, and most of all - lower price tag. What I'm not sure about is
>most of the units have 1/8" unpowered mic inputs and seem to have
>higher hiss from the preamps.
>
>I guess my question is this: Can I get a similar ultraportable setup
>that matches the FR-2LE / AT3032 setup - for equal or less money?

Thanks for using the archive!! Its interesting how often we consider
gear inquiries like yours that come down to quality vs portability.
If you know you'll need to turn-up the gain near maximum for your
stereo ambience settings and noise is objectionable, I agree with
your selections at your budget.  There are several folks who have
made some lower-profile, even body-worn rigs for their AT-3032's. It
would be interesting to see and hear what they have come-up with.
Personally, if it sounds good, I'll take the fashion hit every time.
We're only talking a few more pounds over the lightest possible
combinations.  Rob D.