Re: [gear] Sound Devices 788 T announced

Subject: Re: [gear] Sound Devices 788 T announced
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:56 pm ((PDT))
"Mark R." wrote:

> "...some of us like to record at 96k to capture
> higher frequencies for various purposes..."

The Sound Devices folks at NAB told me that they limited the 788T to
24/48 for reliability.  They know it's stable at rates up to 24/48
when recording 8 channels.

Sound Devices will continue to test at 24/96 and 24/192, and may
decide to release a firmware upgrade that activates higher rates for 8
or fewer channels.  Apparently the bottleneck is the processor, not
the hard disc.

The 788T just entered production this week.  Dealers should receive
samples in a couple of weeks, with customer deliveries a month away.

The 788T is larger than the 722 and 744t models, but it's about as
small as you'd want a device with 8 gain knobs on the front panel.

--oryoki