Re: Recording Wind

Subject: Re: Recording Wind
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:54 pm ((PDT))
I agree with everything said here so far - you have to capture the
sound of the wind interacting with the immediate environment, not the
wind itself.

I made some nice recordings of 'wind' in McLeod Ganj last January by
capturing the sound of a cluster of bamboo plants rustling. This
evoked the sensation of wind, and also allowed me to put the
microphone out of the way of the wind itself.

More difficult is trying to capture a sound such as Tibetan prayer
flags on a desolate mountain pass with nowhere to shelter, with very
strong winds. When in those situations, I place the microphone with
its back to the on-coming wind, then I place my body close behind it
to act as a windbreak. Works well, but you need to be wearing
'noiseless' clothing that you can wriggle around in without making
noise. (Most baggy and blingy hip-hop fashion is out for this
application, of course...)