Re: Recording Wind

Subject: Re: Recording Wind
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:52 pm ((PDT))
John Tudor wrote: "If it's OK with Greg I'll stick it the files section."

Go for it John, you can put both mp3s there if you'd like. And thanks
for the kind words. :-)

The Tibetan flag recording you mention is just a short excerpt,
probably the only bit that sounded good! I'm still not sure if I've
managed to capture those things properly. It's hard to tell at the
time because it's so damn cold and windy in those places that you
can't trust your judgement in situ. That's not counting the effects of
altitude, which for me usually manifests as a kind of slowed-down
thinking and the inability to remember things I usually know, like,
how to record the wind properly...

The second half of the Nepal mp3 might be of interest to nature
recordist, being made up of sounds recorded in Chitwan National Park.
Some good, some not so good.

In any case, the recordings in those two compilations you mention are
all unprocessed, just MS decoding at 1:1. One or two tracks might have
a high pass filter, but that would be all. They were hurriedly put
together to accompany the magazine article, so I chose to leave them
as raw as possible...