Re: Recording Wind

Subject: Re: Recording Wind
From: "Steve Pelikan" pelikan45224
Date: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:34 pm ((PDT))
Friends:

Bernie's comment about the importance of vision to our species
(culture?) is really on the mark!

I was once working with a videographer who had great closeup  images
of an Ovenbird feeding actively on the ground and singing from a low
perch. The best sound I had (which really was pretty nice, I thought)
had  a stream in the background. The combination of sound and video
was pretty horrible until the videographer went "split screen" and cut
in some general habitat shots for Ovenbirds including a stream bed
with rushing water in part of the frame. Then the combined effect
really worked  well. The background water sounds became easier to
understand and the bird songs stood out much more clearly against the
background.

He explained his perspective by saying that if people _hear_ running
water, it sounds like "noise" unless they also _see_ running water, in
which case it sounds pretty nice.

I look forward eagerly to hearing the results of people's efforts at
wind...

Cheers!

Steve P

--- In