Re: Microphone choice

Subject: Re: Microphone choice
From: "ozrall" ozrall
Date: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:41 pm ((PDT))
Walt et al,

Not sure where my post went I was sure it got sent OK but it wasn't
there this morning ! So I've retyped it.

Rode make a model SM1 shock mount that suits the NT1A, NT2A, NT2000
series mics.

I was supplied one in the box with my NT1A as standard, but only got
an ordinary mount with the NT2A's (disappointed with that)

See here
http://www.rodemic.com/microphone.php?product=3DNT1-A
click on images and again on the Shockmount thumbnail

They cost around $30US (in the US).

I also had a little fiddle.

With a minimum of fuss this shock mount and hence the mics can be made
to fit into the Sennheiser styled Indian made Blimps I just bought.
So I expect the genuine Sennheisers will be the same.
The diameter of the shockmount is nearly exactly the same as the
internal diameter of the blimp/zeppelin body.

Remove the spring loaded "bulldog" clips that release and tighten the
mount (they protrude to a larger diameter than the inside diameter of
the blimp)
You can remove one side with fingers the other side seems to need pliers.

Remove the standard tripod/mic stand bracket from the shockmont by
undoing a single Phillips head screw.
Attach the shock mount to the Rail system using a self tapping screw
(or you could do something a little elaborate - create a slotted
arrangement to replicate the same mounting)

These mods do not affect the unit being reassembled back as it was.

I can imagine a stereo rig being an awkward rig to manage bushwalking
as both the blimps would be standing upright and as you say quite heavy.
Also for M/S this may not be all that satisfactory as the mics wouldnt
be so neatly adjacent to one another as say the MKH mics doubled up in
a shockmount.

Cheers

Rally

http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-art-tech-gallery/

> One should note these mics are large, heavy and awkward to shock mount
> and wind protect.  As far as I've found there is no commercial shock
> mounts and wind protection available so it's DIY.  If you do all your
> recording off a tripod it's not a big issue, but if you handhold it
is a
> big issue. To me the mobility of handheld is of great value, though
I do
> both tripod and hand held.
>
> Walt

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: