Re: Seeking advice for a beginner

Subject: Re: Seeking advice for a beginner
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:35 pm ((PST))
At 1:00 PM -0500 2/22/08, Walter Knapp wrote:

>Many mics simply cannot be used for nature
>recording due to this sensitivity. That includes high end mics. As they
>are exposed to moisture they get noisier and noisier until that
>overwhelms any useful signal. With some mics it's just a matter of
>seconds. The mics are not generally damaged and will work again once in
>a drier environment, but that does not help for nature recording.
>
>This area is one where the Sennheiser MKH series has a big advantage.
>Instead of a high voltage charge the MKH use a low voltage RF charge and
>oscillator system to pick up the sound. (similar to FM radio) They are
>much more immune to moisture as a result.. Walt

Its true that condenser mics should suffer these vulnerabilities. I
have had a pair of (large condenser) Rode NT2000's outside in
Wisconsin 24-7 since early September and they have withstood an
enormous range of weather conditions without sputtering or whining
one, single time. In September, we had many hot, muggy days with 100%
humidity and record rain events. In the Fall there were mornings with
frost so thick that faux fur windscreen was completely encased with
ice. I learned that they had no problem thawing out on their own.
This winter has been brutal. We've had record snowfall including two
"white out"  blizzards both with 8+ hours of driving sleet, snow and
regular wind gusts over 40 mph. Overnight lows have dipped below -20
about 6 times; lows in the negative single digits have been routine.
Why these "studio" mics perform so miracuously in such conditions I
could not guess. The only time I get concerned about the NT2000's is
when rain and high wind are predicted.  If so, I cover the
windscreens with with a .5 mil plastic shopping bag and twist tie and
leave them out. The NT2000's are the least affected by wind of _any_
mic I've ever used. Rob D.