Re: Seeking advice for a beginner

Subject: Re: Seeking advice for a beginner
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:28 am ((PST))
Welcome Donald!

The answer to your inquiry depends on your definition of "acceptable
quality."  Here's one example that, when used with the proper field
craft, will produce publication-quality recordings of bird species.

Telinga parabolic dish with Stereo DAT mics, $1950

Windscreen for the dish, $125

Telinga tripod adapter, $185

Fostex FR-2LE recorder with two XLR inputs, $600

Porta-Brace case for Fostex FR-2LE, $145

custom 50 ft XLR cable to attach mics to recorder, $100

Manfrotto tripod for dish, $200

Headphones to monitor the recording, $100

Total, not including tax and shipping, $3405

The Stereo DAT mics can be used without the dish for ambiance
recording, too.  It takes a few minutes to disassemble the dish and
remove the mics.

It's certainly not necessary to spend $3405 to put together a
functional rig.  I'm sure others will provide their recommendations
for ways to achieve high quality recordings for a lot less.

--oryoki

--- In  "Donald Berk"