Telinga static noise/ trouble shooting

Subject: Telinga static noise/ trouble shooting
From: "Kyle Keegan" clarksbutte
Date: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:19 pm ((PST))
 Fellow recordists,
 I purchased A telinga Pro-6 stereo dat mic through approx two years
ago. It has been working fabulously in every situation I have used it
thus far, without fail. Unfortunately, I am now suddenly having
problems with hearing a (static-like) noise that seems to be somewhat
intermittent as far as I can tell. There is no apparent connection
with the noise and the earphone jack, or XLR connections the best I
can tell. All of the cables look and feel perfectly intact. The sound
is similar to what you hear when you disconnect the 7-pin connector on
the handle and touch the pins. I can only describe it as (static).
It's not exceptionally loud, not popping, and is just a faint
crackling noise. I am wondering if the noise may have to do with my
recorder. I am using a Nagra Ares bb+ and I have been using it for
almost a year though w/out detecting this sound. I did notice that the
sound may correlate with me touching the shoulder strap connection (on
the metal) where it attaches to the Nagra, as crazy as that may sound.
It's almost as if it may be creating static-like effect when touching
the metal with my finger and the mic is reacting to it. Is that possible?
    I am leaving in two weeks to go to southern Venezuela for six
weeks of recording Woodcreepers on the headwaters of the Orinoco River
for a project funded by the National Science Foundation and
facillitated by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and they are counting
on me having my equipment in order. The unfortunate timing of the
problem has me a tad-bit frazzled.  If anyone has ANY advice for
trouble shooting this problem I would be exceptionally grateful.

                                                   Sincerely,
                                                                    =

    Kyle Keegan