[gear] Edirol R-44 four channel recorder announced

Subject: [gear] Edirol R-44 four channel recorder announced
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:40 pm ((PST))
Roland announced a new four channel field recorder today.  It's called
the Edirol R-44.  No price or delivery date has been announced.  Read
the available details here
http://www.edirol.net/products/en/R-44/index.html

The R-44 joins the R-4 and R-4 Pro in Edirol's product list.  All
three models have the ability to record four channels simultaneously.
These three are considered good companions for video production
because they include the ability to synchronize start and stop with
the video camera.

The R-44 is most similar to the R-4 model (street price ~ $900).  In
my quick read through the specifications, I see several differences:

-- R-44 adds adds 24/192 sampling  (up from 24/96).  This high
sampling rate works only when recording two channels.  The fastest
rate for four channel recording is 24/96.

-- R-44 uses SDHC flash cards for storage (R-4 had Compactflash and
hard disc)

-- R-44 has four discrete line out channels (only two in R-4)

-- Preamp and general electronics are quieter.  Edirol says the
residual noise level, measured at the line output is -103dBu for the
R-44, and -85 dBu for the R-4.

-- Edirol claims the preamp has 60 dB range (-56 dB to +4 dB)  The R-4
range is 37 dB (-60 to -23 dB)

-- R-44 battery reduced to 4 AA cells, but able to power the equipment
for four hours

-- R-44 is quite a bit smaller and lighter than the R-4.  The R-44 is
about the same size and weight as the Marantz PMD671 or Tascam HD-P2

-- R-44 lacks some of the in-recorder editing and post-production
manipulating features found in the R-4

The R-44 retains the R-4's ability to provide 48V phantom power to all
four XLR inputs.  Both recorders have digital coax SPDIF input and output.

Edirol has tested and approved cards up to 8GB. The larger sizes (16GB
today, 32 GB soon) probably work OK as well.  An 8 GB card can hold
115 minutes of four channel recording at 24/96.

I guessing, but I think the R-44 will cost considerably less than the
R-4, maybe in the $700 range.  We'll know shortly.

--oryoki