Re: An inexpensive sound recorder for birders

Subject: Re: An inexpensive sound recorder for birders
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Fri Nov 2, 2007 9:05 am ((PDT))
At 9:07 AM -0400 11/2/07, Robin Carter wrote:

Thanks for the great review Robin!

>I tried a variety of gain levels. I read somewhere that the H2 does best
>with gain set to mid (as opposed to low or high) and with level at 100. I
>tried this on a number of recordings. They sounded too soft in the field, =
bu
>they did clean up nicely using Audition.

So its hard to monitor the recording with the headphones in the field
at level 80-100,..? Some headphones are more efficient. What phones
are you trying?

>The bottom line is that my Zoom H2 does not even come close to matching th=
>quality of recordings I can get with my Oade-modified Marantz PMD 660 and =
>Sennheiser ME 66 / ME 62 combination. The difference is like night and day=
.
>But the Zoom H2 costs much less than even one of the mics (when you add a =
K6
>module as well).

The additional noise you are getting on the H2 could be from the
built-in mics' self-noise, not the recorder's pre circuit.  Are you
comparing the Sennheiser ME 66 / ME 62 combination into the H2 as
well? If so, and you are hearing additional noise with those mics,
the mic pre noise in the H2 is pretty poor. Rob D.