Didactic recording (experiment)

Subject: Didactic recording (experiment)
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_rob
Date: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:15 pm ((PDT))
Hi Steve (and Dan)--
Your mix is believable enough for me but in regard to your goals,
Dan's suggestion of using graphics to help people locate/ID
calls/species within the stereo field seems very elegant to me. There
might be a way to do it that is not as complicated as Flash or
authoring DVD's. I've not had a chance to play with it yet, but
QuickTime movies can support cursor-over text prompts and sound
changes so one could interactively trigger the call and species name
when locating a spot in the panorama. These movies can be viewed on a
computer, iPod or embedded in an html page.  One can do the authoring
in QuickTime Pro but there's an application called eZediaQTI that is
simple enough for intro media production students to master
http://www.ezedia.com/products/eZediaQTI/    Here's a page of
projects made by MIT students:
http://media.rmit.edu.au/mog/?page_id=3D198  None of the examples I
downloaded performed the moves I'm hinting at exactly, but you can
see how "cursor over" can open a text prompt and how a click could
open another sound track in the movie (without changing the
picture/panorama). Its not a widely used app and quite possibly there
are some bugs,..? I suspect the eZediaQTI  is a pretty intuitive for
those versed in video and time-based media.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D

I've been out of touch with the list and net because I moved to rural
Wisconsin first of October. Very busy trying to make a small,
unimproved farm house built in the 1800's liveable. I'll try to catch
up with the posts, recordings and developments as I can. Rob D.