Re: Didactic recording (experiment)

Subject: Re: Didactic recording (experiment)
From: "Allen Cobb" ashtangakasha
Date: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:30 am ((PDT))
Steve,

Wonderful project!

I'm having trouble getting the download to start. Perhaps if you could
provide an URL to a ZIP file, then my browser wouldn't try to buffer and
play the thing.

So, without hearing it, I have a few comments anyway.

I've done a lot of recordings that are -- in a very weird way -- quite
similar. Most of my work involves creating multi-channel abstract sound
productions, usually 8-channels arranged in an octagon. Since few people can
play these works, I have been converting them to binaural form.
Interestingly, for this kind of processing, the issue of stereo vs mono
comes out in your favor -- mono works best!

There are some situations where one would want to binaurally position a
stereo track, but for what you're doing they're probably not relevant.

The process is fairly simple, depending on what kind of DAW you have, and
what plugins are available.

Originally, I made these binaural works using SoundForge; now I do them
mostly within Sonar. The SoundForge method involves using the Acoustic
Mirror convolver in SoundForge with a set of HRTF files from MIT. You
convert each of your (say 8) mono tracks into a binaural track with the
convolver and a specific HRTF (say, 25 degrees to the right for one, 15
degrees left for another, etc.). Then, since everything is in the digital
domain, you can mix all 8 (or more) resulting "stereo" binaural tracks into
a single stereo track, and the individual binaural info is preserved with no
significant increase in noise.

In Sonar, I can use various plugins for playing dynamically with the
binaural positioning. I can, for example, use the Perfect Space convolver,
as in Soundforge, or my Panorama 5 (WaveArts.com) for realtime manipulation
of each track's position in binaural space.

Sonar is also super-convenient for making my 8-channel production tracks,
but that's another story.

I'd be happy to go into further detail with you if you care to contact me
directly (allen a t acobb d o t c o m).

ac

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
11:10 AM