Re: MixPre/H4 Output Question...

Subject: Re: MixPre/H4 Output Question...
From: "Philip Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:22 pm ((PDT))
Why not MixPre Balanced out with the XLR's wired to
1/8" stereo jacks?

When wiring the XLR's for unbalanced use with the
MixPre you connect to pins 1 (earth) and 2 (hot) of
the XLR leaving pin 3 floating. This is the Sound
Devices preferred wiring system.
Visit:
http://www.sounddevices.com/download/guides/mixpre_en.pdf
Scroll down to page 6 and read under the heading
Output Circuitry and Tape Output.
I think this would give you the best option. Also get
a short 1/8" stereo jack lead and plug the line-out of
the H4 into the Tape Return of the MixPre. Then you
can monitor the output of the H4 on your MixPre. There
are some small pots on the side of the MixPre which
allow you to adjust the Tape Return gain so that when
you switch to 'off tape' the levels are the same.

Phil

--- jeswa <> wrote:

> I'm using a Sound Devices MixPre with a Zoom H4
> Needless to say, the H4's input levels clip very
> easily.
>
> Which setup is better?
>
> MixPre Balanced Outputs / XLR Balanced Cable w/48db
> Pad Limiters /
> Zoom H4 XLR balanced inputs
>
> OR
>
> MixPre Tape Output / 1/8" Stereo mini-plug to dual
> 1/4" cable / Zoom
> H4 1/4" unbalanced inputs
>
> I don't have the pad limiters yet, so I was looking
> for a bit of
> advice before I get some.
> Thanks...

now.