Re: MixPre/H4 Output Question...

Subject: Re: MixPre/H4 Output Question...
From: "Chris Ward" octophonic
Date: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:15 pm ((PDT))
IMHO I would have to say the Tape Input path is going to serve you better on
the H4. The
other route has a whole lot of margin for error and manipulation of the
original signal. I
don't doubt that you could come up with a formula for attenuating the balanced
out from
the MixPre by just the right amount combined with a locked off gain setting
that is just
right on the H4 for your input. However a short (3.5mm) cable from the MixPre
to the H4
is going to give a better result than re-amping the attenuated signal back
through the
H4's mic pre. Just like the old days of the TCD-D7 or 8, sure it is an
unbalanced
connection but the real work ends up being done by the MixPre and we all know
what a
great Preamp that is.

Just my 2c. Good luck with finding out for yourself which sounds best to you. I
am happy
to be proved wrong. Especially as I do not have an H4 or MixPre to test the
theory myself.

Chris